Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Ok
Let's see
What is that condominium that is gonna built next to the Bukit Timah Natural Reserve
& its big advertisement says 'Close to nature' or whatever?

I beg to differ

I wonder if EIA is done in SG
Coz the only EIA that I came across
Is the one on reclamation at Pulau Ular
Where the corals, marine life are taken into account
Before constructions take place
However still
I believe that the EIA process did not take place accordingly
Coz I dont think they include boat traffic controls to minimize impact on dolphins in the report
& the project has already started!

I can be wrong
Wait till I view the EIA report

Nevermind
Back to that condominium
It was proposed to be built next to the reserve
So as to market to everyone that we're going 'green'
All so natural!
See birds, see trees, listen to waterfall, climb rocks everyday
But
Do you know
Nature wont last after it's built?

Bukit Timah natural reserve harbours the remaining 15% of the local species
Approximately 250 species were conserved (if I remember correctly)
Bukit Timah Natural reserve was known to be Asia's best urban reserve to conserve this high density of species
Dr Corlette wrote a book about Singapore Ecology while he was teaching in NUS before he left for HKU

Ok
So firstly
During construction
The noise & the sound may have frightened the birds away
No mitigation was done to lessen the harm done to the birds
& when birds are disturbed from their habitats
They wont return
Given the fact that humans will be staying there
More disturbances will be produced

Secondly
The development of concrete housing can cause patchy population
Although it is common in urban Singapore
The fact that Bukit Timah Natural Reserve is 'intact'
This will reduce their population size & genetic flow
Increase in inbreeding if they're being isolated from other population

Thirdly
Edge effect is greater
Where they're vulnerable to inadaptability

Now
Anything good?
Obviously all these werent thought of before building
Before, we have toucans, paradise birds, starlings, pangolin, skink, etc probably
After, we have crows, crows & more crows
How natural!

My house coffeeshop here also got alot of crows leh!
I also living near 'reserve' mah!

Oh
Now I remember
It's called the Raintree
Nice name
Nice idea
But
Bad planning

When social benefits are less than environmental benefits
Constructions are not neccessary
Do we see the neccessity to live next to a reserve?
I stay next to ZhengHua park
But I dont even visit twice a year
Why waste that piece of land over concretes?
Concrete causes high temperature rise
Additional global warming!

Wow
i'm all so environmental once again
Luckily I still have my points to argue
I shall go for my environmental management course soon
I must fulfil my dreams
I must be a marine biologist!

No comments: