Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Woke up for breakfast
Authentic European breakfast
Ham + ham + ham + ham + ham of different animals
Omelette + salami + smoked salmon + fruits for me
The slices are damn thin
As if like face mask
So in fact I just chew abit
& easily digested

Seminars started at 9am
Quite interesting

& after Prof gave hers
Our Echinolittornia malaccana and E. vidua are now famous among the Europeans!
I told here this was the exact responses that I had when I spoke about it in Hong Kong to Dr Morritt & Dr De Pirro
I guess they'd never looked at ecology much
coz most of their presented topics are so genetics & biological
When made me totally confused

I think they like to study snail sex pretty much
I didnt even know how they mate!
& Yulia, a Russian PhD student, showed photographs of the male Littoria saxatilis' penis!!

WOW!!
So small already STILL got bird bird

Wonders of nature

After the talk
I had a chat with Prof
I felt very stressful
The research topics of these people are already so profound
My friends already asked what am I doing with that tiny snails
when mine only involve length & temperature measurements
Heartbeat detection could be slightly difficult
But these Europeans are working on developmental stages
Embryo & juveniles when they're already less than 1cm small!!

Now, What is mine?
Do I have to work until such standard?

I mean
To me, genetics, evolution & biology is so complicated
So complicated that 2 thumbs up is still not worthy enough
What about mine?
Mere investigation of population, heat stress, physiological responses
Huh?

Anyway
I think there's just THIS difference between Europeans and Asians' researches
Somehow
Europeans could only be able to focus on biology & genetics coz they dont have hot summer like us?
However, what I, Prof & Dr Williams are curious about is the environmental stress affecting their survival
In each way
Both of us have its own good?

I try not to think
As long as Prof can stop scaring me about how she's gonna examine me for my PhD research
Right now
She's satisfied with what I'm doing
& what I intended to do

=\

I then had an hour of relaxation at the swimming pool
This swimming pool is unique coz it doesnt allow much swimming due to lack of space
Instead
The whole pool has many jacuzzi corners
Hot water jacuzzi, cold water jacuzzi, shoulder hydro-massage, feet hydro-massage, blah blah
All in mineralised SEA WATER!
It was cool but having salt water into both nose & eyes are hell
The steamroom was in a ceramic 'cave'
& this is much drier than that I have at California Fitness
But the Spanish steam room smells of lemon while that in SG smells of pandan leaves
-_-
I'm now typing this at the outdoor balcony
Rain'd finally stopped
& sun's out for sunset
Yes, might as well dont come out
& still kinda cold
Enjoying free bottles of Coca Cola & leftove ham croquetes
(Good thing about this hotel - items in mini bar is free. Woohoo!)
But it'd be a very memorable trip to see sunset over the Atlantic Ocean!

I'm hoping to see the tail of a humpback whale splashing on the surface
Hohohohoho!

& I wish DarDar is here with me

I miss DarDar
=(

No comments: