Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Today is World's Thalassemia Day
& I went for my free Thalassemia screening
My first time withdrawing blood

The nurse tied this rubber strap across my arm
& located my vein
She pressed and hit on the inner part of my left elbow
& claimed she cant find my vein
Then I joked that I'm too fat, that's why
& she said that my veins are embedded
She then felt it
Poked the needle into my arm

No blood collected
Coz my vein 'moved'

She then called for her colleague to assist in locating another vein
& both of them decided on the obvious dark blue vein on the back of my hand
She poked the needle in
The blood flew out into the plastic capillary
& seeped its way into the sample tube

Only 2ml of blood was collected

The 2 nurses freaked out abit
Seems like my blood was pretty stubborn
& they located the vein on the inner side of my right elbow
This time
A success
More than 20ml of blood collected from the syringe

As the nurse transfered it into the tube
and withdrew the needle out
My blood squirted out of the syringe
& on everywhere

...................

My precious AB+ !!!!

I kana poked thrice
One no blood
Second little blood
Third more than enough blood and overspilling

I had 3 tiny plasters on my arms and hand
Suffered fleshy pain
My first blood withdrawal

Ouch

No comments: