Saturday, May 12, 2007

I fell asleep while I was watching TV
So did Isaac
So 2 of us dozed off on the sofa while watching TV together
Haha

Went to have dinner with DarDar's aunt, uncle & Isaac
The mall is holding some programme to celebrate Mother's Day
& one of the contestant was singing a high-pitched Chinese retro song
Which did not sound very high-pitch afterall
But very nice

Standing behind me is an Indian lady
She said
"She cant sing, for fuck's sake! She's killing me!"
I turned slightly to glance at her

I was sorta disappointed

I thought Singapore is a racial harmony country?
Let's not include me to be specially different from normal Singaporean just because I'm from Hong Kong
But I also understand chinese culture
So Singapore being a racial harmony country
Singaporeans, regardless of race, language or religion
Should also understand and respect one another's culture
Shouldnt we?

It may be really eardrum breaking upon hearing the retro song
But she won applauses from the entire mall
So loud that I bet the applauses are even louder than her singing

I admire her bravery
If I were to sing 'Twinkle twinkle little star'
I dont think I can even win a 5 years old kid's applause

So back to the Indian

No discrimination here

I just think that some people of other races does not understand the culture still
I also dont understand why they have to poke themselves with long, heavy metal spikes every year
But I never say anything like that disrespect their culture

Slowly
I then got to understand that it's a ritual to repay their sins

Then again
Yes
It is not that pleasant to every one's ears
But such comments doesnt sound nice either

If only one can spend sometime understand one another's culture
I think that should make Singaporeans better

No comments: