Wednesday, December 03, 2008

I just wrote an assignment on mollusc mucus last month
& how efficient that the mucus can do good to the snail individuals
Such as minimising resistance on rough surface
Saving energy from mucus production by invading into mucus of another individuals
Following conspecific cues left in the mucus to look for mates
(See Davies & Blackwell 2007)
Given such advantages to molluscs
It is now known to be available for humans too

Snail gel
Research on mollusc mucus being cosmetic products was NOT available last month
& now?
It's hot sale among the Dutch!

Apparently
The species used is a terrestrial species - Helix aspera
which is commonly found along pavement after rainy days or sadly under your soles if you walk blindly
or those that are served fresh from oven sprinkled with garlic butter & parsley

What is amazing about this is the magnificant effect that the mucus can do to your skin!
(I strongly believe it's photoshop!)

Hey man
I'm not so sure about the healing effect
My researches did not mention anything about self-repairing property
But at least I know I wont be spending money on that
Coz I dont want any Helix aspera crawling on me thinking that I'm its conspecific due to the presence of chemical cues on my face

*p/s: having snails crawling on the skin feels itchy and slimy. My echinolittorinids tell me so! =)

No comments: