Sunday, June 08, 2008

I was almost out for more than 15hours on Saturday
& another 10 hours today
I could almost die of exhaustion

I was out at Ubin for my research this whole week
& Yesterday Michelle & DarDar came with me
The morning sun should be out by 7am but I didnt catch a glimpse
Trying my luck
While I head to CJ alone
They went fishing
But just minutes after they'd pitched the tent
It downpour-ed heavily

Meanwhile at CJ
Since the weather was making me indecisive to work
I played with Max & Cookie
& went to patrol with the security guard
As he knows I needa work under the sunny
Security guard ensured me:'Dont worry.. wont rain one.. I guarantee'
& seconds after he said that
The thunder roared
We were half way at the Mangrove boardwalk
Then we heard the heavy pattering of raindrops on the trees
Thinking it is just raindrops plus strong wind that rustled the leaves
We still relac-relac walking like yaya papaya
BUT HEY IT WAS NOT!
IT WAS REALLY A DOWNPOUR!!!
We ran to the nearest shelter but DONT HAVE until we reached the kiosk!
Which was around 80m away
Me, security guard & Cookie were wet
Totally drenched
But Cookie dried himself pretty easy by shaking off
Me & security guard just shivered in coldness

I aborted my research & went to look for Michelle & DarDar

The tent that DarDar bought leaked
So it was kinda flooded


Kinda pathetic, yes we know
But it was fun
At least we know that we should get a better tent!

DarDar die die also must fish even in the heavy downpour
Dressing himself like the guard at the custom with rifle
(Only that he has his fisherman hat + fishing rod)

We waited for almost an hour for the rain to stop
& finally we ventured at the shore


But shortly after
It started to pour again
& we decided to retreat to the jetty for lunch

Hours after our fishing activity resumed
DarDar caught a big catfish
Which was then given away to another Malay guy who was fishing beside us
& Michelle almost caught a grouper but the line snapped
I managed to catch my first fish ever!
Fed the cat with it later =p

We stayed till 7pm
Damn tired
& I'd lotsa conversation with many boatman
Chatting about where they sail to fish & what they did when they were young

& today
DarDar caught a big African Pompano (Alectis ciliaris)
About 1kg & more than 40cm in length
Everyone crowded around us at the jetty

I also caught a juvenile grunter =)

Surprisingly we too bumped into Alfred, Stevvy, Joe & gang

Aiyo
These 2 days totally spent my time in Pulau Ubin, other than research
So famous now
The girl who comes Ubin almost everyday with super big bag of equipments
The boy who caught a big pompano in front of 20 people with kind boat uncle purposely steering away from his line
All Nparks staff know me
Most boat uncles know me
Even buy food got discount!

I think next time I can just retire & live in Ubin already

No comments: