Tuesday, October 10, 2006

TODAY quoted Mr Philip Yeo, Chairman of A*star saying this:
"Life Science undergraduates would only be qualified to wash test tubes"

I stunned for a second
& acknowledged his words

Sadly, but truthfully
I am not getting a science-related job ever since I graduated
Seeing how easily my friends could get a job related to their field
Somehow made me feel that I shouldnt be so unlucky

However, truth is, I am
Likewise for many other life science graduates out there

Maybe it doesnt affect Singapore only
My Hong Kong classmates arent doing what they hoped to do now
Aircraft attendants, insurance dealer, quality surveyor, customer service officers, etc
Name it, be it

My seniors were neither lucky too
Having a PhD qualification doing research,yes
But earning like a normal graduate does!

Shucks

But,
How much do they even pay for a normal graduate?
Market rates stated $1700 to $2700

$1700 is equivalent to a Diploma holder
Obviously those giam-siak companies would wanna get a Diploma holder with same field of studies than a graduate
Coz they need not pay more

Discrimination!

Then please tell me
Why were there competition between qualifications when it is percieved that Diploma holders are more welcomed due to salary wise?
What are we studying for?
Why are there no chances at all?

I'd decided not to let my kids study so much
Look at Bill Gates
He dropped outta school and he's now a billionaire!
Who says that talents must come from education?
My DarDar is able to fix my wireless LAN connection at one go
After several failures helped by my friends, who did IT & engineering!

Ahem
My DarDar did Multimedia Design

See!
It doesnt need a paper qualification to state what you should be qualified for!

But it is true that when something is printed on black & white
It is a proof that you are able to achieve what you'd done

Ah darn

Gimme a wash-test-tube job can?
I can wash bowls & utensils
Thus, making me professionally trained to be a washer
I can even wash my hamster's cage
What is a test-tube anyway?

No comments: